HUD Issues Notice Requiring Owners to Install Carbon Monoxide Alarms or Detectors In All Units By December 27, 2022
On January 31, 2022, HUD’s Office of Public and Indian Housing, Multifamily Housing Programs and Lead Hazard Control and Healthy Homes released a collaborative notice requiring owners in the following HUD programs to install carbon monoxide alarms or detectors by December 27, 2022:
- All Public Housing (PH)
- Housing Choice Voucher (HCV)
- Project Based Voucher (PBV)
- Project Based Rental Assistance (PBRA)
- Section 202 Supportive Housing for the Elderly (Section 202)
- Section 811 Supportive Housing for Persons with Disabilities (Section 811)
It outlines common risks of and how to detect and prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in our communities and implementation requirements. Finally, it discusses allowable options for owners to fund the purchase of the required equipment in order to comply.
Note: The Notice does not mention there being any exceptions to this requirement for properties that do not offer gas utilities.
Click here to read the Notice.